More of the same...

 February 2021


For a while the sheer amount of snow was a real barrier to off-road cycling; once it turned to an icy base layer it was murder getting traction up hills etc.  




However we finally got some improvement and so I got 4 rides in on the new bike.  Still getting to grips with (see what I did there...?) the contact points for bum+hands and a series of minor adjustments went on.  Decided also on changing down to a 30T chainring to give me more uphill endurance for the Deeside hill climbs (eg Cairn Leuchan).  Changing a saddle is kinda difficult as you dont know what you like/dislike till youve spent your brass - a  bit like buying new single malts!

Also as the snow melted the river level rose and managed a couple of "sprint" training sessions in my old slalom racing boat.  And when things really kicked off I took my sea kayak for an 8km rush down the river.  Grade 2/3 rapids just flashed by as my GPS showed 22 kph at some points, 16 kph average.



No real plan to the days though yet as Covid lockdown continues.  Its not worth planning longer sea adventures until we get to maybe April when I can hopefully get across to the west coast.  I do see that for the second year running my trip to the italian alps for steep creeking (Valsesia river festival) is just not going to happen is it.

Other activities were mainly walking in the snow, bright day light does help the mood, and maybe some maintenance type stuff as I have my old bike to clean up & sell.

Cheers for now, S.

___________________________________________________________________________

No comments: